Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Ppaper 3 continued

The November wind sliced through my cotton yellow pajama bottoms and black faux fur slippers as I peered up at the crystal french doors infront of me. I lifted my hand to my chapstick protected lips and blew, in a vain attempt to defrost the ice I knew my blood had morphed into. A light flipped on in the hall and the door opened.

"Amanda?" Carrie was dressed in an oversized t-shirt and sweat pants and her highlighted hair which was usually curled to percision was in a bush like ball on the top of her head. "What are you doing here? I thought you were the pizza guy."

There was a pang in my chest as she continued to hold the door open in confusion. "Hey Carrie," I greeted stupidly. "I know I told you before that I wasn't going to be able to make it, but there was a last minute change of plans. There was snow in New York where our connecting flight to Paris was and our flight was canceled."

"Bummer," she said eyeing my attire and floor sleeping choices.

I clutched my things tighter as another breeze threatened to bite the rest of my living limbs. "Yeah, I hope that it's okay that I just showed up like this. So is everyone like upstairs?" I asked craining my neck like an awkward flamingo.

She wrapped her arms around herself as if she was the one who walked undressed in the thirty degree weather only to be kept standing outside, but there was something in the way that she looked down, not at the icicles building on the frogs on my pants, but at her own feet. Embarassment? Shame? Both? "Actually no," she said, "It's just me."

"I don't understand," I said. That's when I realized that there weren't any car in the drive way. Beth's sleek black BMW and Susan's candy apple red corvet were not where to be seen. The darkness of the house didn't mean that I was the one being left alone, it was Carrie.

She shrugged. "No one's parents would let them leave on Thanksgiving."

No one's parents would let them leave on Thanksgiving. Kind of like...my parents's.

"Wait so you're by yourself on Thanksgiving?"

"Well my parent's told AnaMarie that she could leave early, and figured that we would all just order pizza so yeah. I've been here alone since this morning." She looked at her drive way and the street behind me. "Do you want to come in and call your Mom to pick you up? She shouldn't be to far away if she just left."

I shook my head. "My Mom didn't drop me off Carrie."

"Well come in and call whoever did."

"I walked."

"What do you mean you walked? It's freezing out here." She opened the door

No comments:

Post a Comment